Pages

Sunday 12 October 2014

Doing something different

This year I decided it was time for me to do something different.  I took on the challenge to be a part time student at Otago University, extramural of course!  I chose Otago purely because I did my teacher training and had a positive experience experience with the staff there.

The paper I am doing is EDUX440: Critical Analysis of Teaching, sounds boring however it was a great way to get amongst a community of teachers and principals from all over to discuss teaching practice.  It helped me to reaffirm my own teaching pedagogy, as we all know it is underpinned by theory and experience, being able to recall exactly where it comes from is sometimes a little bit difficult - at least for me!

I must admit it is challenging at this time of the year with the up and coming report writing and assessments, getting to the finish line with my last assignment has been difficult.  I have been very lucky to be supported by my family, people I work with, and Sheelah who has been so great at proof reading all my assignments.

For the my last assignment I stumbled across this EDtalks from Core Education by Quinn Norton - Students as hackers.


This got me thinking not only about students but as us as educators.  We take apart different theories of teaching and learning and put it back together to create our own pedagogy, our own way of teaching, to create something that is personal to you as an educator.  It may not work exactly for the current class or setting that you teach in however, you adapt and change it.  We're creative and flexible, responsive to it.

So for my next challenge?  Not too sure as yet, still thinking about doing another paper, not too sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment