Pages

Friday 5 September 2014

Day 5 - Picture of my Classroom

Had one of those moments when driving home this afternoon where I got half way there and remembered I forgot to take a picture of my learning environment!

I will upload a picture after looking around in my many photos folders I discovered no pictures of just the space however once I upload the photos you will see what I mean!  Hopefully this will happen on Sunday as I am going to see the children off who are traveling to AIMs for the week.  So, in essence they're coming!

**UPDATE!** Pictures are in below, I will take some when the children are in use.

What do I see?
A some what modern learning environment, with a range of furniture, open plan (being the middle class of 3), flexible space where multiple places for learning.  It's light and airy - huge bi-fold doors that can be opened out onto the deck to continue the learning there.  Has no traditional teacher desk. 

The lovely little boy in the picture is my son - he loves visiting mummy's classroom.

What it looks like in the weekend when there are no children.  Will take some when it's in action tomorrow.
As the pictures I will post have no children in it and of course it is all closed up for the weekend, so a bit of imagination is needed, when it is a hum of learning you will see children working on the ground, up at tables, sharing documents/learning asking for feedback, children working individually, and of course children talking (some on and off task!).  

You would normally find me either sitting at a table with the children talking, helping, or trying out something different.  I tried 81DASH with a small group yesterday and discussed the pros and cons - looking further into it.  The other place you'll find me is taking a workshop either directed by the children or by me.

Something I don't see but would like to
Learners - more cross over in groups to find the experts within the classroom for them to seek help/feedback.
How?  Have toyed with a few ideas on how to make this happen whether it is through a visual aid

As a physical environment - less tables and chairs, a whiteboard somewhere else in the classroom on the wall for another learning space.
Why? Another whiteboard, not a fan of the small workstations as I prefer to stand when I workshop, to create another space for groups whether if they are working with me or each other.
Less tables and chairs - I feel my classroom is crowded by furniture, crazy I know!  When I removed a lot of the furniture in my room one year a funny thing happened - the children talked more, interacted more!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Aimee! It's great to have you part of the TeachThought challenge and I can't wait to see the photos.
    I agree about the furniture - it's funny how a simple change can sometimes change the learning conversations. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Justine. Thanks, it's great to be a part of the 30 Day challenge - very thought provoking! Looking forward to Connected Educators Month.

      Delete
  2. I love the colored walls. I wish I were allowed to paint mine.

    ReplyDelete