Pages

Tuesday 30 September 2014

Day 29 - Change is the only Constant

I've always thought of myself as someone who doesn't like to sit still, when it comes to teaching and learning.  There is always something more I can do, another way I could deliver it, or something new to try.  When I get my teeth into something I like to keep pushing and challenging myself and the students.  I am very lucky that I have great people around me who continue to help me and my "crazy ideas!"

Reflecting upon my career and the changes that I have made so far, it is amazing how far I've come.  I trained at Otago University, a part of the last of the class before they merged with the teachers college.  My passion for teaching and learning began there.


Since getting my job in the Hawkes Bay, my approach to teaching has changed as I have developed my professional knowledge and experience.

What I value as an educator:
*relationships
*respect
*learner responsibility
*the learner at the heart of it
*procedures
*high expectations

These values stay the same but the approach to it changes each year.  When reflecting upon how I have changed over the years, the procedures and expectations have become more specific, how I build relationships with the students and their whanau have changed from phone calls twice a year to weekly emails, developed the use and understanding of respect and relationships have also changed, and the list goes on.

I have always believed that it all starts with the learner, I suppose that's why personalising learning fits me well.  Personalising learning is a journey I have been on for a wee while now and has changed over the years, moving from full personalising learning to only aspects of it.  I am pleased to be changing again to move again to full personalising learning and have addressed the issues in which we faced a few years ago.

Change is always going to happen if we want it to or not.  As mentioned in other posts, education is rapidly evolving and there is a need for us to slow down and decide what is best for our learners.  I may not like to sit still for too long however, that does not stop me from making that decision of what is best for our learners.  

Change is good, if it is for the good of our learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment