Pages

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Day 17 - Challenging issues in education today

Education is forever changing and since graduating in 2006 the following issues have always been the same for me.  My biggest issues in education today are:
  • Paper work: many questions spring to mind...
    Who is this for?
    When am I supposed to have time for this?
    Why do we all have to have the same format?
    Can't I personalise this to suit me?
    Why does this feel like no one trusts me?
  • Class size:  there is a lot going around about class size and I sit on the side that it does matter because of the following reasons:
    Getting more 1:1
    Making stronger connections with students
    Ability to personalise every student
    The time need for: paper work size, report writing, assessments, moderation, etc.

    I know that if you're a good teacher it doesn't matter what size class you have however it does beg the question of if you have 30+ students in your class how much authentic time do you spend with each of them over the period of a day, whether it is 1:1 or in small groups?  For me my answer would be not enough.
  • Demand on teachers to do more and more is too much - something has to give.  As educators we are expected to not only do a great job at teaching students but we're also expected to be a coach, nurse, councilor, mentor, teacher of values and manners, keep up with the latest trends in education, and the list goes on. 

    My question is:  When is there time to do all this?

    We are all human, we too have a family of our own, and too want to have a balanced life where we can go and exercise, have hobbies, and so on.  So, when is enough, enough? 

    Don't get me wrong, we do love our jobs and going the extra mile for the right reasons is always necessary, my issue is balance for teachers are way out!  How can we get this balanced restored?

There is so much more that is out there that is working against us but I'm reminded of we can only do what we can do, but make sure what we do is the best that we can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment